Saturday, September 13, 2008

Gluten Free Lifestyle

I have been trying to convert my family over to a gluten free diet. One of my sons would greatly benefit from cutting gluten out of his diet and since he needs to do so, I thought it would just be easier to have the whole family adapt. The more I read about the effects of gluten intolerance the more I believe that my family would be better off without it. So I have been trying different recipes out. Last nights dinner recipe came from a free magazine I picked up at Whole Foods called Delicious Living. The original recipe called for whole wheat flour and soy sauce. I omitted the soy sauce and substituted brown rice flour for the whole wheat. It turned out fantastic. My family didn't even know that it was gluten free and I'm not telling. They are very reluctant to change their diet. So I am not telling them that I have already adapted most of our meals to gluten free. Fortunately, my sons don't read this blog. The picture below is actually of our leftovers. I served it with mashed potatoes, but next time I think I will serve it with creamy polenta. YUM!




Chicken Breasts with Steam-Roasted Parsnips, Leeks and Thyme (adapted from Delicious Living Magazine)

1 medium leek
1 pound parsnips, peeled, cored and evenly sliced into spears
2-3 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, divided
4 4-ounce boneless, skin-on chicken breasts, cut in half
1 sprig rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon brown rice flour
3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 cup dry Marsala
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley

1. Cut leek lengthwise and wash carefully. Thinly slice white part crosswise and discard greens. Place leek, parsnips, and half of the thyme leaves in a microwave on high until easily pierced with a fork, about 5 minutes. Drain water, remove lid, toss and set aside.

2 Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay chicken, skin side down, on waxed paper on a hard surface; cover with another layer of waxed paper. Pound to an even thickness of 1/2 inch to facilitate even cooking. In a shallow dish, mix remaining thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper with brown rice flour; dredge both sides of chicken.

3. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil to parsnips, leeks, and thyme; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Place in top third of oven and roast for 15 minutes.

4. Coat a 12 inch skillet with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and place over medium high heat. When oil is hot but not smoking, place chicken breast in pan, skin side down, and brown for 2-3 minutes. (Do not move; they'll release easily once browned). Turn and brown other side, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, cover and keep warm.

5. Reduce pan heat to medium low and add shallots and garlic. Saute for 1-2 minutes, until soft. Increase heat to medium high and add Marsala or other liquid, scraping up brown bits. When liquid reduces by half (about 1 minute), whisk in parsley.

6. Remove chicken skin. Surround chicken with parsnip mixture and top with pan sauce. Garnish with rosemary sprigs.


1 comment:

Jennie C. said...

This looks delicious. My sister is looking to switch to gluten free as her son was just diagnosed with autism. I'll have to forward this on.

Love your blogs wallpaper!

Related Posts with Thumbnails