Monday, July 13, 2009

Bountiful


This is what I was able to haul in from our local farmers market this weekend. Yummy! I love going to the farmers market and seeing all the bountiful harvest. I picked up cantaloupes, beans, peppers, tomatillos, corn, herbs, nectarines and plums. Tonight I made pork chili verde using the tomatillos, cilantro and jalapenos that I got at the farmers market. I also made up some homemade tortillas. I forgot how easy they are to make and how much better they taste than the store bought. I combined two recipes for this chili verde. I started with Elise's recipe from Simply Recipes. You can click here to view the recipe. I also used a recipe I already had. It came out really nice. The chili had a lot of depth and the pork was really tender. The tortillas turned out well too! I had to use olive oil for the tortillas because I didn't have any shortening in the house. It still turned out delicious.

Pork Chile Verde

1 1/5 pounds of tomatillos, husked and cut in half
5 garlic cloves, with paper on

Heat broiler and roast for 5 to 7 minutes until skins are nicely brown.

2 small onions, chopped
2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
1 can green chilies
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 bunch cilantro

Add cooled tomatillos and garlic with skins removed to blender and the onions, jalapenos, green chilies, garlic and cilantro. Blend until smooth. Set aside.

2 to 3 pound pork roast, cubed
flour to coat
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
pinch of ground cloves
Olive oil to cook

In a large saute pan or dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat. Toss cubed pork in flour and salt and pepper, just enough to coat. In batches, brown the pork cubes and set aside. Add pork back to pan and add tomatillo mixture and a pinch of cloves. If meat is not completely covered with mixture, you can add a little of chicken stock. Bring to boil and then simmer until fork tender, about 2 to 3 hours.





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails