Monday, November 10, 2008

Carnitas

I know the pictures are not the best and most appetizing, but I really wanted to share these recipes with you. I have been really enjoying my crock pot for the last couple of days. I mean, what's not to love. You put your food in the pot and forget it until its done. With soccer weekends and all the activities, I think the crock pot is my best friend. Last night I cooked carnitas . I love how simple and versatile this recipe is. It also makes quite a bit, so it's great when feeding a crowd or for stretching your budget dollar. I can get 3 to 4 more meals off of this. I will use the leftovers in enchiladas, nachos, pork hash and sometimes I will add some barbecue sauce and make sandwiches with the leftovers. I also made some Mexican rice to go with the carnitas. Really yum-o.

Carnitas

1 pork butt
1 can reduced sodium beef broth
1 jar of your favorite jarred salsa
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano

1/2 cup milk

Place pork butt, beef broth, salsa, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and oregano in crock pot and cook on high until it falls apart and is tender, about 6 -8 hours.

When done, take meat out of crock pot and shred onto a large rimmed baking sheet. Pour 1/2 cup of broth from crock pot over pork and 1/2 cup of milk over pork. Bake in 275 degree oven for 45 minutes to crisp up. (You may omit this last step if time does not permit, they won't get crispy, but still taste great).


Mexican Rice (adapted from Rick Bayless' Authentic Mexican)

1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup long or medium grain rice
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 large garlic clove, peeled and finely diced
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon chili powder

In a 2 quart sauce pan with fitted lid, measure oil in pan and set over medium heat. Add rice and onion, and cook, stirring regularly, until both are lightly browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Mix in garlic and cook a minute longer.

Add the tomato sauce and chili powder to the rice and cook for one minute, stirring several times. Add the broth and salt to the rice and stir. Cover pot and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 15 minutes, then turn off the heat and let the rice stand 10 minutes, covered, until the grains are tender.

1 comment:

Not So Exciting Andi said...

Thanks so much for the carnitas recipe! I have never tried making it myself until today, and this turned out authentically delicious. This will be a regular guacomole accompaniment at our house. Even my 2-year-old said, "This is good, Mommy!"

Related Posts with Thumbnails