Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving Recap















Son #1 brushing the filo dough with butter

















I love it when my sons want to cook. When I was planning out our Thanksgiving menu, son #1 asked if I would make tiropites. Tiropites are Greek appetizers that are filled with feta cheese and wrapped in filo dough. He was so jazzed about these little delicacies that he wanted to make them himself. So I got out the filo dough and he went to town making them. They turned out fantastic. They are easy to make, but very time consuming.

Tiropites (adapted from the Greek Food Festival Cookbook by the Greek Orthodox Community of Sacramento)

1 pound thawed filo dough
1/2 pound good quality feta cheese
8 ounces ricotta cheese
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/2 pound butter, melted

Crumble feta cheese into a large mixing bowl and blend in the ricotta and cream cheese; mix well.

Cut filo pastry sheets into 4 to 5 strips- there are approximately 20-25 sheets per pound. Take one set of strips an cover the remaining filo dough with wax paper and a damp towel to prevent drying. Brush one single strip with butter, put a scant teaspoon of filling on one lower corner of strip, fold over one edge to meet the other, (side over side like folding a flag) forming a triangle at the end of the strip. Lightly brush tops with butter and place on lightly butter cookie sheet and bake at 350 degree for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden.

Tiropites can be frozen before baking for up to 6 months. Layer between wax paper and these can be baked right out of the freezer.
















We had a really nice Thanksgiving. It was filled with family and good friends. My good friend Peggy was traveling up north to be with her twin daughters, who are first year college students for Thanksgiving. So we had the rest of her family over to join us for the holiday dinner. The picture above is her oldest son, home from UCLA and her youngest daughter. Oh yeah, that's my boy on his back. They have 7 kids in all and the house was wonderfully noisy and joyous.


















This beauty is what I look forward to after Thanksgiving. I love this soup! It is turkey noodle soup and I make it only once a year. I used most of my leftovers in this soup. It has turkey, mashed potatoes, some gravy and in years past even some dressing. You can see the bits of prosciutto on top. I stuffed copious amounts of rosemary, garlic and prosciutto under the skin of my turkey. When it is all done, you have these wonderful bits of prosciutto with your turkey.

Turkey Noodle Soup

3 quarts of low sodium chicken broth or turkey stock
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
2 medium celery stalks, diced
1 bay leaf
3 cups of diced turkey meat
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup of leftover mashed potatoes
1/4 cup gravy
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
1 package of thawed Grandma's egg noodles, (this really makes the dish for me. These noodles are fresh frozen thick egg noodles that add great texture and flavor to the soup. Omit for a GF version soup)

In a large soup pot, heat garlic cloves in the olive oil. Allow to lightly brown and then add carrots, celery and onions to the pot. Sweat until softened, about 7 to 8 minutes.

Add the chopped sage to the soup pot along with the broth and the bay leaf. Bring to a simmer. When simmering, add turkey meat, mashed potatoes, gravy. Bring back to a simmer. Add the thawed egg noodles to the soup and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until desired doneness for the noodles. Serve and Enjoy!

2 comments:

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

This looks great - I'm going to use it next time I have turkey leftovers - I made my own turkey soup this year and it was good - but I love the idea of incorporating everything!

My sister did the stuffing this year and she did one with pepperoni, sausage, mozzarella - it was amazing, but it's so heavy that I still have that and no turkey to go with it....

Maybe I'll make something for dinner tonight that uses the leftover stuffing....any ideas???

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Woops - meant to add - how awesome to have Peggy's family!

Related Posts with Thumbnails