Thursday, June 19, 2008

This and That

We are into our first week of summer vacation and I am barely surviving. The boys are keeping me busy and driving me nuts! I love my kids, yes indeedy! Their imagination is in overdrive. If they are not battling imaginary monsters they are battling each other. Lots of tears this week and some from the kids as well! Our cat/dog thing is going fairly well. We are still keeping them somewhat apart. Scout has been able to sniff Ringo's back end and she seems okay with him so far. She has not been off leash around him yet. I think tomorrow will be the day that they can frolic together. I just hope Scout doesn't see Ringo move and think its one of her stuffed animals. I will let you all know.





This was dinner tonight. It was really good. I made my version of a Hawaiian fried rice. I have made it many times before, but this time I used a new sausage. I was at the store last week and came across this new sausage from Aidells. It was pineapple and bacon chicken sausage. I know it sounds weird, but it was really good. I thought it would taste great in my fried rice. I usually make this rice with linguica and it gives it a nice kick, but I didn't have any in the house. But, isn't that what fried rice is all about, use what you have. So enjoy, I hope you like the recipe as much and my family does.


Hawaiian Fried Rice

4 cups of cooked rice, cooled completely
3 strips of bacon, chopped
2 links of sausage, chopped ( use what you like i.e., linguica, Italian sausage, chicken sausage)
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
1/2 carrot, peeled and diced

Put bacon and sausage into large skillet and cook over medium heat until bacon is crisp and sausage is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add carrots and cooked until tender crisp, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium high, add rice and stir fry vigorously to prevent sticking, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add oyster sauce and soy sauce and mix well. Add 2/3 of the scallions and continue to stir fry until all ingredients are heated through, about 2 minutes more. Top with remaining scallions and serve.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails