Sunday, January 25, 2009

Root Vegetable Hash





























I wanted to recreate a part of a dish that I had recently at a local restaurant. Hubby and I went to lunch at the Esquire Grill (one of The Gov's favorite places) in downtown Sacramento. We had a wonderful lunch. I ordered the free range chicken with cider pan sauce and root vegetable hash. I loved this dish on so many levels. The chicken was cooked perfectly and the hash really was divine. My only complaint is I didn't get enough hash. I really wanted to recreate that part of the dish at home. The original was made with butternut squash, parsnips and smoked bacon. I tried two different versions and tried them side by side. The top recipe is cubed sweet potato and parsnips tossed in olive oil and roasted in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes. It was really good and you could really taste the freshness of the vegetables. The second picture is cubed sweet potato, parsnips, onions and bacon. I cooked and rendered the bacon and tossed in the onions and cooked until soft. I then added in the sweet potato and parsnips and gave it a good toss. Next, I added some salt and pepper and about 1/4 cup vegetable stock and covered and cooked for 10 minutes. It was not as firm as the roasted vegetables, but the flavor was fantastic. I really liked both versions. I would say the roasted version was closest to the restaurant. I would make both again and add different root vegetables.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails