Friday, August 8, 2008

Tile Bracelets Part 2- A Tutorial




I was playing around again with the whole tile bracelet idea. This version is Italian tessarae glass tiles. I really like the look of this. It gives the feel of an old mosaic bracelet cuff. The bracelet measures one inch wide and is very comfortable to wear. I like the vibrant colors of the glass tile over the ceramic. These tiles come in a variety of colors. I was able to find mine at my local Michaels store, but you could also order these online from Mosaic Mercantile.




Tile Bracelet Tutorial:




Step 1: Gather your materials. I used the glass tessarae tiles for my cuff. You will also need an adhesive. I used on this project Crafter's Pick, Ultimate glue. I have also used Sobo glue, but I don't like how it adhered. You will also need a leather strip about 1 inch wide and 9 inches long. Test out your tiles on the leather strip to make sure they fit. You will be working on the suede side of the leather for a better grip. You will also need a snap kit.








Step 2: Measure about 1 inch from end of leather. You want to leave that much room for your snap. Using a paint brush, paint a strip of glue onto your leather strip. I also like to paint glue onto the back of the tile.












Step 3: Place tiles on glue. Continue doing this until you have 14 rows of tile or until desired length. Let the tiles dry overnight before continuing to make sure they adhere.






Step 4: Next you need to measure the cuff on your wrist an mark where you want the snaps to be. I used a Sharpie pen and made a dot on the cuff. Then use a screw punch or a leather punch and make a hole in the strap on both sides.









Step 5: You will need a snap kit which I also purchased at Michaels. Your snap will consist of 4 parts. The outer part and the inner snap part. Make sure you test your snap before you hammer it on. Next place your snap on your cuff and hammer your snap in with the handy tools in your kit.










Voila, your bracelet is complete. You can get as fancy as you want. Maybe make a mosaic pattern on your bracelet. The skies the limit.


Update(10/26/08): I have had some comments about the side of the glass tile I used. I used the textured side that would normally be glued down. I liked the texture to it. You can use the smooth side for the glass when you are tiling your bracelets. It's up to your individual taste.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails